In many situations, such as playing sports, being involved in an accident, falling down or being involved in a fight, a person is going to suffer a nose injury. This can cause bruising, swelling, pain and bleeding of the nose. In most cases, you will simply need home treatment to help with the issues.
Nose Injury: When it is Serious
If your nose is broken or not, there are still situations in which this can become serious. For example:
- If you cannot get the bleeding to stop
- If the skin of the nose is punctured as this increases your chances of infection and bacteria
- You can have a hole in the septum that is caused by a blood clot that can lead to further issues and damage
- A nose injury is also serious when this is due to abuse, as this can be an entire issue on its own that requires professional attention and maybe even surgery.
The Complications Of A Nose Injury
If your nose is broken, it will heal on its own. There are rarely times when this is not the case. However, there can be problems that develop due to this injury including:
- The size or shape of the nose can change causing long term issues
- Breathing trouble of having a chronic stuffy nose
- An infection in the nose, sinuses or the bones on the face
- A hole in the septum
- Severe infection that turns into a brain abscess or meningitis
Treating a Nose Injury
For those who have a minor injury, they are going to find that with the use of pain medication and nasal decongestants, they will be fine. In the event, that the nose is broke, a doctor is going to need to set this. Swelling that the person is experiencing will go down within two to three days, but could take up to two weeks to go down. A person may have to wear a splint on their nose in order to ensure it is protected and healing during this time.
The following methods might be useful in treating nose injuries:
- Sit straight and slant forward to decrease the pressure of blood in the nose.
- Squeeze both nostrils closed at the soft part of your nose for a few minutes.
- Inhale via your mouth.
- Recap this method for about 10 minutes.
- Your head should be held at a higher level than your heart
- Abstain from blowing for a few hours as this can cause bleeding again.